Baghdad says US personnel and military equipment are already moving out as Iraqi forces prepare to take over American bases in the Kurdistan region.
BAGHDAD: The United States is set to complete the withdrawal of its forces from Iraq’s Kurdistan region by Sept. 30, as Baghdad and Washington move ahead with plans to shift greater responsibility for security to Iraqi forces.
Iraqi and US officials have held discussions in the Kurdistan region over the withdrawal and the transfer of military responsibilities, according to foreign media reports. The process includes the movement of American personnel and military equipment from facilities in the region.
Under the plan, US military bases in Kurdistan will be handed over to Iraqi security forces after American personnel leave. Iraqi authorities said the movement of troops and equipment is already underway and will be coordinated with the government to ensure an orderly transition.
The latest move is part of a broader agreement reached by Baghdad and Washington in 2024 to gradually transition the US-led military mission in Iraq. The arrangement called for a phased reduction of the international coalition’s military role while Iraq strengthens its own security capabilities.
US forces have played a key role in supporting Iraqi security forces against Islamic State militants, including through training, intelligence sharing and logistical assistance.
The withdrawal from Kurdistan marks another significant stage in Iraq’s effort to assume greater responsibility for military facilities and national security. It could also draw attention to how Iraqi forces manage bases and security duties previously supported by US personnel.












